Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Granola

Mix together:
15 c. old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 lb shredded coconut
3 c. sunflower seeds (raw)
4 1/2 c. chopped nuts (combination of walnuts, pecans, almonds, peanuts and/or mixed nuts)

In a saucepan, combine:
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 c. water
1 1/2 c. oil
3/4 c. honey
3/4 c. molasses
2 tsp. salt
1 T. cinnamon
1 T. vanilla

Heat until sugar and honey are dissolved but don't boil, stirring occasionally. Pour over oat mixture and mix well to coat granola. Spread on cookie sheets (5) approximately 3/4 to 1 inch thick, and bake at 325 degrees for 17-20 minutes, or longer if you want it to be crunchier, stirring once. After the granola cools, add raisins or dried fruit if desired.

I usually half this recipe and it makes just under 2 cookie sheets. Mom submitted a different granola recipe... but this is also hers and the one I use. :)

1 comment:

Amy said...

Very cool blog idea. I was just wanting to make granola the other day. It is my new favorite snack/cereal. It will be fun to try this recipe! Thanks!