Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bell Pepper Casserole

2 large green bell peppers
1 lb ground beef or ground turkey breast
1-2 cloves minced garlic
2 c. cooked brown rice
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
mozzarella cheese
ketchup

Cook the rice according to the directions.

Remove the stems from the peppers and cut in half. Remove the seeds and cores. Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the peppers and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and place on a cutting board to cool. Once cooled, cut the peppers into bite sized pieces.

Meanwhile, cook the meat and garlic, breaking the meat into small chunks.

In a bowl, mix the egg whites and rice. Add the cooked meat and a couple tablespoons of mozzarella cheese and mix. Add ketchup to make it a little saucier, about 1/8-1/4 c. (I just squirt it in until I get the consistency I like.)

Transfer to a baking dish and add the peppers. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until a light crust forms on the top and the cheese is melted.

Makes 4 servings.

I adapted this recipe from the Bench Press Bell Peppers recipe in the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. We like it well enough that it is one of our new staples.

1 comment:

Devin and Melinda said...

Thanks for the recipe! I had to alter it just a little according to what I had on hand, but it turned out great!